Sunday 5 June 2011

How can an international student change name in the US after marriage?

I got married to my college sweetheart (he%26#039;s US citizen, I am not) a few weeks ago and I would like to add his last name to mine. I know what the process of changing the name is in my country, but I want to know if I can change it in my US papers (SSN, etc) before changing it in my home country.


If anyone has a starting point other than %26quot;google-ing%26quot; I would appreciate if it would be shared with me.


I couldn%26#039;t really find info just searching on Google.





Thanks a lot!|||Go to the Social Security Admin., you will need to apply for a new SS card with your new name, you%26#039;ll need to take your marriage certificate. Also any other Identification you have you need to go and reapply so you can have a name change remember you%26#039;ll need your marriage certificate as proof for your name change|||When you get your marriage license back after the wedding, take it and your present ss card to the ss office. If you have a driver%26#039;s license go to the DMV and do the same. There is a charge. SS is free.





I think you will have to change your passport in your country. Consider the ramifications of having id in differing names when leaving the country, flying, etc.|||start with you drivers licence take a copy of your marriage certificate to the DMV and they will give you a form to fill out then go to the social security office and do the same the next is your visa with the new ID go and have them change the name in your country you will have to get a new passport|||Do what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment