Sunday 5 June 2011

How do you legally change your name?

I was born in Korea and my Korean name is Jae Hyuk. It%26#039;s Jae for the first name and Hyuk for middle. Unfortunately, my grandfather 18 years ago made my name Say Hyuk on the legal docs when I came to America so wherever I go, my name shows up as %26quot;Sa%26quot;. That%26#039;s absolutely ridiculous!





I just turned 18 and I graduate high school this June. I%26#039;d like to change my first name before I enter college and find a job. Does anyone know how much it%26#039;ll cost and where to do it? A family friend (who is a lawyer) said to just google %26quot;legally change name%26quot;. I did but honestly I can%26#039;t trust a majority of these sites because they look so cheap and looks like it was designed by a middle schooler who just figured out what Photoshop is.





Could anyone suggest a trustworthy site or an alternative means of changing my first name?|||First, can I assume you are a full US citizen now? If not ignore everything I%26#039;m about to write and contact immigration.





You will need to file a request to the local court. Since you didn%26#039;t tell us what state that is we can%26#039;t tell you what court.





Call your county clerks office and ask them.





P.S. The Social Security Administration has nothing to do with name changes other than you will need a new Social Security card after the judge grants a name change.|||Call up your local social security administration (SSA) office. They are in charge of issuing you a new SS card, which officially changes your name. Once you change your name through them, you can go get a new driver%26#039;s license, and all of the rest of your legal papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment