Wednesday 21 September 2011

Whats the actual spelling of my German last name?

When my great great grandfather moved to america he changed his last name to Smith, so my orignal last name I think is Slekenger, or atleast thats how it sounds but it's not on google so whats the actual spelling and meaning? (you say it like sleck-enger).
Whats the actual spelling of my German last name?
My mom's last name was Schmitz and was turned to Smith. Now funny cause my father's family is from Italy and they never changed their last names...wonder why it happened to the German people.
Whats the actual spelling of my German last name?
I am not sure about %26quot;Slekenger%26quot;, but there is a Seckinger, which is pronounced the same way only without the %26quot;l%26quot;, which is also a German name. It means that your ancestors were from Sē›²ckingen in the Rhineland.
There are no fixed rules for the spelling of German names, you can find the same name with several different spellings in Germany, depending on the region or simply on family history.



A name like %26quot;Slekenger%26quot; sounds very un-German. A start with %26quot;Sl%26quot; and a single %26quot;k%26quot; sounds more Scandinavian to me. And an %26quot;enger%26quot; ending would be strange too. A likely variant in German would be %26quot;Schleckinger%26quot;. This name does exist in Germany though it is very uncommon. A very common variant in German would be %26quot;Schlichting%26quot;.
The translation of Smith into German would be Schmied (meaning blacksmith), not Slekenger. The pronunciation of Schmied is %26quot;shmeed%26quot;.



There are lots of Schmieds in every telephone book in Germany and Austria. It is a very common last name.
I think the actual translation of Smith is Schmidt, which you just pronounce Shmitt, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment