Wednesday 21 September 2011

I have a character in my screenplay unintentionally named after a real person, do I need to change?

I just did a search on google of my character to see what popped up, and will sure enough there's a real person with the same name as my character.



Even though my character is a young teenager and the real person is in their mid 20's not to mention my character is a female an the real person is a male. So I was wondering should I change the last name, or is it okay to keep it, as long as I put that old disclaimer of %26quot;names of real persons are solely coincidental as this film purely fictional%26quot; because it really is.

I'm still not sure how when I typed in my character name two years ago in google that real person's name did not show up. Wonder if the real person read my screenplay an decided to change his name. lol.



Anyway, it's not a huge deal. I'd like to keep the character name as is, since I've worked with this character for two-three years now.



Thx
I have a character in my screenplay unintentionally named after a real person, do I need to change?
You don't need to change it, but you might want to change it just so the audience does not confuse your character with the real person.

.
I have a character in my screenplay unintentionally named after a real person, do I need to change?
fine as long as you qualify it.
It is fine to have a character who has the same name as a real person, as long as the person if not very similar to the character. The real person could sue you (like how the director of %26quot;The Hurt Locker%26quot; is being sued), though you would probably win the case anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment