Friday 16 September 2011

How do I get a stage name if I want to be an actress or a screenwriter?

I would like to get into acting, writing a book, or movie screenwriting in the future. How do I go about getting/using a stage name without legally changing the name I was born with? Can I use my stage name to open a bank account? What about if/when I want to get a SAG card? I have tried doing a Google search and got zilch.



I would appreciate any and all assitance. Thank you very much
How do I get a stage name if I want to be an actress or a screenwriter?
Actors typically, no longer change their name.



Use your actor name for acting, and your %26quot;real name,%26quot;

when you are not acting.



I only use my acting name when I'm acting, otherwise,

%26quot;day job,%26quot; employers know me by my birth name.



When you are ready to join SAG, you will use your

%26quot;actor name%26quot; for your SAG membership.



You will fill out the application for SAG, with your real name, unless it is already taken by another actor. I had a problem because there is another person registered with my name.



If you decide to join AFTRA, you will use your SAG name, as you will be listed with SAG and AFTRA under your SAG name. Just remember %26quot;who%26quot; you are! hee hee!



Industry professionals, talent agents and casting directors, will call you, by your SAG name, not your birth name.



Forget about your birth name, as it has nothing to do with your acting career. It's as if you have two personalities,

one for acting and another for day-to-day life.
How do I get a stage name if I want to be an actress or a screenwriter?
go to the county courthouse and register your name as doing business as or dba. yes you can open a business account under the name so long as you have your dba papers.. cost is about 10.00.. by registering your dba name you are legal and no one else can use the same name. It is yours for several years and then you have to renew it. You want the county clerks office. Call them and they will tell you what you need to do.. its a piece of cake..
There's really no special process. When you join the unions you write down both your birth name and your 'professional' name. When you have a bank account through the unions you can therefore deposit checks from both names and use your professional name for your acting career and like NewYorkGal said, use your birth name for your day jobs :-) You always use the same SS# though. Banks nowadays have stricter rules about depositing checks from different names. You can ask your branch manager if a note can be put on your account that you have a professional name that checks will be made out to and see if they will accept that, but if not... Until you join the unions and are able to open bank accounts through them, your agent can issue your checks to your birth name after he/she takes out their 10%.



For more info on the unions, go directly to the source:

www.sag.org

www.aftra.org



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment